Call a former DUI Judge
with over 40 years experience
Last week we talked about how the state of Arizona is employing the use of ghost cars to help enforce DUI laws during the summer. Today DUI attorney Henry Weingart and the rest of his staff at the in Tempe, AZ would like to talk about which state’s driving laws result in the most tickets.
“This State’s Driving Laws Are The Worst!”
This may be a sentence you have heard numerous times, in numerous places, regardless of the state you were in at the time it was uttered. It seems that nearly everyone is convinced that the particular state they live in has the worst driving laws in the country. Now while this may be exclaimed in an attempt to get you to drive carefully, or whether is was just downright complaining, the fact is that some state’s driving laws actually ARE more strict and stringent than others.
How do we know this, you ask?
Well friends, remember when you were moaning about having to take math classes in school, and how you were never going to use any of the skills you were being forced to learn?
Well, that’s what we’re going to prove our point with.
The State Driving Stats
Ok, confession time. So, we’re not actually the ones performing the math that is going to aid us in proving our point that some states driving laws are stricter than others. It’s actually the folks over at WalletHub who have put together a study comprising which states have the worst financial penalties for driving related offenses.
WalletHub took into consideration twelve metrics across all fifty states and, wait for it, drumroll… Colorado came out as having the heftiest financial penalties for driving offenses.
Guess who came in at a close second?
Well, Illinois, Delaware, and our very own Arizona all tied for second place in the race for most painful tickets.
The study also found that 75% of states have “absolute” speed limits, meaning if you are caught going over this speed the state has enough to convict you off the offense. The remaining 25% percent of the states have laws which allow you to argue in court that your driving was law abiding.
However, a few things are the same across the board in all states. If you are convicted of reckless driving you should be prepared to spend at least a night in jail even though none of the states have mandatory jail time for tickets. The average cost for a speeding ticket is $742. In Washington state, the cost for a ticket ranks highest, however, where you can quickly rack up a heart-stopping $5,000 from a single ticket.
However, the most expensive and debilitating consequences from any driving infraction still come from those related to DUI convictions. if you happen to find yourself in the grips of one, give us a call here at the Weingart Firm.
Until next time readers, drive safe.